- Height increase seen in all three Buffer Zones, avg. plant height over 2 meters!
- Zone 1 doing well, could benefit from some transplanting to fill in the small corner area that has since filled in with native plants. I estimate about 15-20 slips needed to fill it in.
- Zone 2 completely filled in, recent transplants doing well.
- Recently transplanted vetiver line in the new area, is also doing well. I have applied sheet mulching to the plants vulnerable to being shaded out.
- Pontoons have been repeatedly taken by wind to opposite areas of pond. So I tried a new way of tying them which may prevent this: Instead of retying them across the pond from fence post to the post over by the water pump–I tied each set of pontoons separately to the posts of Buffer Zone 3. This way they’ll resist the wind and stay put at pond inlet, where we want them.
- Pontoons without flotation pool noodles have become more submerged.
June 12, 2017
Project Documentation: Aerial Photography , Buffer Zones 1-3, Vetiver Grass Pontoons/
June 10, 2017
June 9, 2017
Pontoon Update/ Pontoons re-positioned in center of pond. Seems high winds loosened the ropes and rafts had been pushed up onto shore again.
One key difference I noted this time however, was the flotation tubes served to prevent the Vetiver from rooting so quickly and firmly in the mud. The other rafts without extra flotation (pool noodles) were much more difficult to dislodge from the mud.
I imagine the vetiver crowns in the rafts on the right have been drier overall, with conditions more conducive to stronger growth.
Another positive development: the root systems protected by the wire cage showed extremely promising results! Very strong root development!
Fish seem to gravitate toward the shade and protection of the pontoons:
Fingerlings were swimming all around and under the rafts.
May 25th, 2017
Report for specialized testing of samples B2 & B3 has been forwarded.
Unfortunately water Sample B1 was not sent to lab as there was no water flowing through Buffer zones 1 or 2, see pic below:
May 4th 2017
Hello Roley, below are the samples I can deliver by tomorrow if necessary:
Morning Roley, welcome to your updates page. This is where you’ll find photo updates to the Vetiver project site at the SARA Facility. (As you know this page is protected by your password.)
Side note: several snakes encountered in the project areas.